About this blog

If you're looking for me to brag about how cute my kids are (which they are) or talk about how much weight I did or didn't lose this week, you are in the wrong place! I have a Facebook account for that. This blog is about the blunt truths of parenting, tips and tricks of the trade, some addicting mommy junk and all the other disgusting hilarity that ensues when you have kids...especially two kids only 12 months apart like myself.

Search This Blog

Monday, March 21

My miracle for kid's constipation, diarrhea and yeast diaper rash

Somewhere just after 12 months old, Boo got diarrhea. It lasted for TWO WEEKS! No new foods, no teething....just lots and lots of diarrhea. My pediatrician at the time (I switched, we weren't a fab fit) finally suggested I give him Culturelle. Culturelle is an all-natural probiotic supplement with Lactobacillus GG. If you don't know what a probiotic is, google it.

My ped said to open a capsule and mix it in with a small amount of juice or water then tube feed it to him. She also said I could mix it in with yogurt or anything else cold to try and feed it to Boo. Do it once a day and that should help....

So I did. And OMG by the second day no more diarrhea! Miracle pill!

At the same time she mentioned it would also work for constipation....tried it and it did. Wow, this stuff is bangin!

Few months later Bubbi gets a double ear infection and her first dose of antibiotics. Apparently, antibiotics can cause yeast diaper rash and even a standard yeast infection. I was going to post a photo on here from google, but they are all pretty graphic. Feel free to google "yeast diaper rash" and select pictures. The main difference in a yeast diaper rash over a normal one is that you'll usually see raised dots/specks. Supposedly Lactobacillus GG, the active ingredient in Culturelle, helps significantly.

So Bubbi gets Culturelle and her yeast diaper rash clears up almost over night!

Culturelle W/lactobacillus GG, 30-Count Package is now a staple in my household. I keep it in the frigde. I don't give it to my kids everyday as it is expensive, but I do give it to them at the first sign of constipation, diarrhea or a yeast diaper rash. And yes, I know yogurt has the same thing....it just doesn't seem to work nearly as well or quickly.

Note: They didn't sell children's Culturelle (Amerifit Culturelle Kids, 30-Count) at the time Boo's doctor first recommended. From what I can tell, the only difference is that it has 1 billion cells per capsule instead of 10 billion cells like the adult version.Being the cheapy I am, I still buy the adult ones and only use about a third of a capsule per dose. It isn't rocket science to know that paying $18.65 for 300 billion cells is a better deal than paying $19.40 for 30 billion cells.

Be sure and consult your pediatrician before treating your children as I have described above!

No comments: